While pregnant, every woman should be under chiropractic care. At no time in your life are pelvic balance, proper joint motion, and optimal nervous system function more important! Prenatal chiropractic care also provides a safe, effective and drug-free approach to relieving pain during pregnancy, by decreasing pressure on the joints, muscles, and nerves of the spine and pelvis.
In a study published by the Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health on Feb. 4, 2013, chiropractic care was shown to improve the quality of life for pregnant patients by addressing pregnancy-related complaints and to some extent ‘wellness care’.
Dr. Lindsay recommends that all pregnant women be under chiropractic care. Chiropractic care includes gentle spine and pelvic adjustments, muscle work, ligament release and providing simple tools such as tips for maintaining proper pelvic posture and gentle stretches. When working with pregnant women the focus is on the pelvis with the intention to restore proper joint biomechanics, eliminate nerve interference and normalize muscle tone and function to create an easier and more enjoyable pregnancy and birth process.
Regular chiropractic adjustments have been shown to:
• Help maintain and support pregnancy
• Control nausea and/or vomiting
• Help or stop premature contractions
• Help you remain active throughout your pregnancy
• Reduce the need for pain medication during pregnancy by 50%
• Release in-utero constraint, facilitating the turning of abnormal baby positions such as breech, transverse, oblique and occiput posterior babies
• Be safe for mother and unborn baby
Many pregnancy-related conditions have shown improvement with chiropractic care:
• Pelvic and low back pain, including sciatica and piriformis syndrome
• Symphysis pubis dysfunction (SPD)
• Rib pain
• Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) and thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS)
During the labour and birth process chiropractic care has been shown to:
• Shorten labour time by 25 to 60 percent
• Reduce the incidence of back labour
• Reduce the amount of pain medication during labour
• Help make delivery more comfortable
• Improve your recovery from childbirth
For more information regarding chiropractic care during pregnancy visit the ICPA website.